AS 4685 standards are based on European EN 1176 standards with some exceptions.
Where can I download EN 1176 pdf? The standard is subject to copyrights and its distribution peer-to-peer is illegal. Standards can be purchased from national standardisation bodies’ shops, and they typically cost 100 – 300 € each.
Luckily, there are better options!
Standards are necessary legal link between reality and legislation. Same info can be found from Safe to Play app.
The exceptions to EN 1176 standards are:
AS 4685.0 (AS 4685 part 0) Installation, inspection, maintenance
This standard is similar to EN 1176-7 but is more detailed.
AS 4685.1 (AS 4685 part 1) Playground equipment
This standard is similar to EN 1176-1 but has some variations.
- Supervised early childhood services (SECS) are included.
- Australia specific requirements for timber.
- Height of handrails.
- Recommendations for angles of elements.
- Movable play equipment.
AS 4685.2 (AS 4685 part 2) Swings
This standard is similar to EN 1176-2 but has some variations.
- Swing’s circulation area.
- Ground clearance.
- Extent of the impact area with loose fill.
AS 4685.3 (AS 4685 part 3) Slides
This standard is similar to EN 1176-3 but has some variations.
- No requirement for guarding.
- Run-out section’s ending angle.
- Tunnel slide’s diameter.
- Barrier for tunnel slide’s outer surface.
- Impact area for tunnel slides.
AS 4685.4 (AS 4685 part 4) Cableways
This standard is similar to EN 1176-4.
AS 4685.5 (AS 4685 part 5) Carousels
This standard is similar to EN 1176-5.
AS 4685.6 (AS 4685 part 6) Rocking equipment
This standard is similar to EN 1176-6 but has some variations.
- Ground clearance for type 6 rocking equipment.
AS 4685.11 (AS 4685 part 11) 3-dimensional nets
This standard is similar to EN 1176-11.
Standards include black-and-white requirements while in the real-world safety rarely is a question of millimetres. Safe to Play app uses risk assessment approach.